Post Title: Finance Officer
Thank you for your interest in applying for the post of Finance Officer with Somerton Town Council. This post is for someone with experience in an accounting role with good understanding of sage. Experience of working in a public organisation would be desirable. The role of the Finance Officer will be to support the Somerton Town Council Clerk and RFO in delivering a high-level of finance and support to the Town Council.
All applications are invited by application and covering letter to
Job Description: Finance Officer
Closing date for applications 7th October 2022
Grade: Competitive – dependant on experience. Pro rata, Local Government Pension Scheme.
Hours of Work: 16 hours per week, between Monday and Friday, working hours are office- based location – Edgar Hall. Attendance of evening meetings and some weekend work maybe required.
Leave Entitlement: 22 days per annum, two statutory days plus public holidays – Pro rata
Responsible to: Town Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer (RFO)
Purpose of the Role
- To maintain accurate electronic records of the Councils finances using software package –
- Management of sales ledger, to ensure that all money due to the Council is billed and collected promptly. Including raising invoices for Hall bookings and Cemetery, plus processing receipts.
- Purchase ledger, including management of supplier invoices and recommendations for payment.
- To prepare and process payments made through online banking or by cheque where necessary, ensuring prompt payments including income tax, national insurance, and pension fund
- To bank regularly (daily if necessary) all money received by the
- Management of cash flow – control of bank transfers and payments from current or reserve account, and banking of
- Management of the submission of VAT returns and repayment claims, grants, S106,
- To produce accurate and timely financial management information for the Town Clerk and Councillors as required and requested in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council
- To liaise with and develop relationships with stakeholders and third parties as required
Assist the Town Clerk and RFO with
- Preparation of financial reports for the council including but not limited to quarterly spend to budget, annual accounts, budget preparation, and the monitoring of, bank reconciliations, receipts, and payments.
- Preparation of accounts and the annual return for the council’s review and
- Preparation of financial statements for each financial year for councillors and the
- Organising the internal audit in accordance with proper practices and the council’s financial regulations.
- Submission of financial statements to external
- Monitoring compliance with the council’s financial
- Management of Insurance
- Maintaining the Council’s asset
- Drawing down of the Section 106
The appointment is subject to a six-month probationary period.
NOTICE TO TERMINATE EMPLOYMENT
The postholder is required to give three months’ notice of the termination of their employment. The minimum period of notice to which the postholder is entitled is three months.
Interviews will be held on Friday 14th October 2022
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES POLICY STATEMENT
Somerton Town Council is fully committed to the development of policies to promote equal opportunity employment. Somerton Town Council’s equal opportunity policy aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, disability, race (including ethnic origin, colour, nationality, and national origin), religion or belief, age, or sexual orientation.
Somerton Town Council believes that this policy will ensure that the talents and resources of its employees and potential employees will be fully utilised.