Keep your birds housed. If it is impossible to house them keep them in a fully netted area with feed and water undercover. Do not allow birds in netted enclosures to mix with fully housed birds.
Remember, anything you bring into your birds’ housing could introduce disease!
- Change into clean footwear before tending to your birds.
- Store feed and bedding undercover.
- Control rodents and clean up spilled feed.
- Regularly clean and disinfect hard surfaces with a government approved disinfectant.
- Maintain your birds’ housing to keep water and wild birds out.
- Discourage wild birds from the area you keep your birds.
If your birds look unwell or you are worried about their welfare call your vet immediately.
If bird flu is suspected report it to the Defra Rural Services Helpline on 03000 200 301.
Find out what actions you need to take at GOV.UK/Bird-Flu